Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Just Thinking

So I was reading today in Philippians and a these verses really stood out to me. They are taken from chapter 1:

"Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel. As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ. Because of my chains, most of the brothers in the Lord have been encouraged to speak the word of God more courageously and fearlessly." (vs 12-14)

"For I know that through your prayers and the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance." (vs 19)

"For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe on Him, but also to suffer for Him..." (vs 29)

It just made me think that as Christians we experience so many trials. When we come out on the other side we are always good to thank the Lord for His faithfulness. I don't think I ever thought of it in the way that Paul says here in verse 12. That what we go through is not only to test us and refine us, but to also bring others to Christ. We are selfish to think that God puts us through trials for US, when it is possible that the only reason we go through something is so that someone else will see Christ through the situation and come to know Him.
Maybe I'm not making any sense. I have a hard time putting my thoughts into words...not the best thing for someone with a blog. :o} Anyway, I just thought I would share my thoughts.

6 people said:

Aleana said...

Thanks Jexa

Alaskagirl said...

So true. As Beth Moore puts it, we are being sifted, like wheat, leaving only the "good stuff"!! Thanks.

Barry Hughes said...

Thanks for thinking outloud! Thats great.

Candace Sweigart said...

I love this Jess. What a great reminder. Although I often forget it, remembering that the big picture often includes many variables, and many other people involved...and its not always all about me. But what I love is that God always seems to still teach me something or give me some little thing through trials whether or not the trial was purposed for me in the first place. :)

Life As I Know It said...

I totally agree, Candace! I believe that for whatever reason God allows us to be tested, there is always something we can learn from it. It's just about remembering that there may be more variables then just us.

Kara said...

Hey Jessica - came across your blog and thought I'd say hi! Thanks for sharing your thoughts; it was a good reminder to me since we've gone through some challenging situations lately.