Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Tamales

I spent all day Sunday and Monday with my mom and sister making tamales. We do this a couple of times a year. Usually we make around 20-25 dozen. This time we had to make 50 dozen! It was a lot of work, but so much fun.

Here I am getting the chicken ready



Some tamales before they have been steamed


Here are 2 of the 3 steamers we had going...plus more chicken cooking. We used a TON of chicken.


Just finished steaming (they have to steam for an hour)


And here is our only casualty (not counting the many steam burns my mom got). Left a little too close to the burner. Good thing we caught it in time.


All in all, it was a pretty fun time. Ended the two days with aching back and feet, but it was totally worth it. I love doing things like this with my mom and sis!

6 people said:

Always around said...

I can't wait to eat them!! I can't believe you did that many in just one day~! You all are amazing

fab5 said...

"Too many tamales"-I love the book and I guess the saying is true for you all! Glad you guys had fun!

Kara said...

Yum! Sounds like a fun time!

scarlett said...

I thought of you because I remembered that you asked me if I wanted any and I totally forgot to get back to you. Maybe I was having some strange ESP about steam burns and sacrifical towels. Any hoo...just would have been another dozen for you to make. Maybe next time!!!

Dionna said...

That's a ton of tamales! Do you know I've never had one? Is that legal for someone with the last name of Sanchez? :)

Candace Sweigart said...

ooh yummy :) That looks like a great time, but quite a bit of work!