Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Annual Baking Day

Every year my mom, sister, and I spend a day making Christmas goodies. This is a long time tradition. I can remember as a child my mom making tons of different cookies and candies. As we got older we got to join in. Now it just doesn't feel like Christmas without it. We make pretty much the same stuff every year. Once in a while we try something new. This year we stuck with the "regulars": almond roca, pumpkin cookies with cream cheese frosting, peanut butter balls, fudge nut bars, 7-layer bars, sugar cookies; plain, frosted and dipped in chocolate, chocolate covered pretzels, chocolate caramel pretzels, and we ran out of time for the no bake and molasses cookies. They will be made today. We always end up giving most of it away, but that is why we do it. We have so much fun laughing and talking in the crowded kitchen as we bump into each other and make messes everywhere. The music blaring Christmas songs, kids screaming, playing, and sometimes fighting, dog running around under foot eating everything we drop...this is all part of the wonderful chaos that makes the day so special. The aching of my feet and the dull throbbing in my lower back is just a pleasant reminder that yes, I am alive. I am blessed with the most amazing family, and I am here to share these special memories.

3 people said:

Dionna said...

What a great tradition. It makes it so much more fun to bake with those you love. :)

Alisha Beverly said...

Ohhhh! We love you for this tradition! The staff has already eaten half the tray your dad brought in for us. And its only been like four hours!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like so much fun to me! You should take pictures of all the fun next year :D